Sunday, November 6, 2011

A "Time Out" to Tap Into Your Feelings

As funny as that sounds, tuning into our feelings can sometimes be harder than it seems.  We live in a fast paced society, always on the go, constantly plugged into the Internet, social networks and our work emails.  Our radio's, computer's and t.v.'s are usually turned on from the time we wake up until the time we go to sleep at night, which leaves little room for meditation of any kind.

When I find myself in a place that feels stressful, whether it be in a conversation that is not going well, pressure on the job,  or attending an event that is awkward, I try to take a "time out".   Time outs can be anywhere from five minutes to a few hours, depending upon the situation. I  excuse myself and disappear somewhere (it could be the restroom or a walk around the block).  It gives me some quiet time to disengage from the busy electronic world and tune into my heart by asking myself,  "what are you feeling right now?".

You'd be amazed at the answers that will come to you when you allow yourself to step away for even a minute.  Instead of thinking you're angry, you might realize that you're just afraid and then are better able to communicate that when you go back to resume that difficult conversation.  Sometimes you won't always have the luxury or the time to walk through a pretty park, yet sitting quietly by yourself, in the nearest restroom stall for even five to ten minutes, can do wonders to help find that calmness and clarity you'll need to continue on in a stressful moment.

2 comments:

Jocie Z ROCK said...

So true Sarah! When u feel chaotic -give your self permission to Sit still- Which to be honest I can rarely
Do!!

positive solutions said...

I've learned how to do this better over the last few years, and it really does make a huge difference! thanks for the feedback, Jocelyn :)