Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Healing Baths Salts to the Rescue for Fibromyalgia Pain


I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a little over ten years ago.  It took awhile for me to realize what was wrong.  My Mother and her Sister have both suffered with it for years.  There is still a lot of misunderstanding with this disease among doctors.  Usually it strikes women and for the most part, until diagnosed they are made to feel like it is all in their head and family members have a hard time empathizing.  From what I have learned, it never truly goes away, yet can be managed through healthy eating, exercise, getting a good night sleep on a regular basis and reducing stress.  I have experimented with many things to relieve the chronic pain and fatigue that this can bring on, especially during times of stress.  I am not the best with exercises, staying away from sweets or being strict on my diet, so that has gone up and down depending how disciplined I am being. The one relief that I have found to be a constant, though is Epsom Salts.  I use them religiously in my bath on a nightly basis.  I keep a big stash by the tub, empty two cupfuls into hot water and soak for at least 20 minutes.  Many Fibromyalgia sufferers have found to have a low supply of Magnesium in their bodies and Epsom Salts delivers this through the skin upon soaking in the water, which helps to relieve the ache that comes with this disease.  Once the ache and tension leave the body, you find your mind then relaxing enough to help get a good nights rest, which is so crucial to the healing process.  Adding things like Lavender oil also aids in the stress release process of the bath and makes it so pleasant.

No comments: