Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Chicken Soup With Garlic and Lemon


Chicken soup.  Who doesn't love a nice hot bowl of homemade soup when you're feeling under the weather.  Growing up in the Middle East, I learned to use a lot of garlic and lemon in my recipes.  Both of which have many healing properties.  Raising kids as a single parent and having gone through some rough years with no health insurance, I quickly learned a lot of "natural" remedies that saved me from having to run to the doctor every time one of the children had a cold.  I'm going to share my favorite recipe that my grown kids still request when they don't feel well.  Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
1 Whole Chicken
4 Lemons
4 Cloves of Garlic, Chopped
3 Sticks of Celery, Chopped
1 Whole Onion, Chopped
1 Cup of Rice
Salt and Pepper to Taste

DIRECTIONS:
Clean the whole chicken, inside and out...salt and pepper.  Place in large pot and cover with water.  Add the onion and celery, bring to a boil on high, then reduce to medium and let simmer for an hour and a half.  Occasionally check the water level and add more if needed.  Remove chicken onto plate (covered with tin foil for easy discarding) to cool.  Let cool for 30 minutes and turn chicken broth to low.  Peel skin away from chicken and add pieces back to the broth.  Add the rice, juice from the lemons and garlic  Bring broth back to a simmer for 20 minutes

No comments: